Monday, November 7, 2011

break my heart.

So this morning was rough. In my class I had a student who's been off lately and acting out and I was wondering why. Today I found out it's because his parents are getting a divorce. And as he was writing in his journal, he asked me to spell a few words. The words he asked me to spell were, 'scared', 'hurt', 'drink' and 'beer'. And it seriously broke my heart. Like he was writing about how he was so worried for his mom because they were splitting up and he was scared that she would get hurt because his dad drinks beer. And I like had to get up and walk away because I was almost in tears.
It hit me really hard. I mean my parents got divorced but they raised me incredibly still and they like made a point to ensure we were the priority, not their divorce. It breaks my heart that a seven year old has to go through this. I don't know if I could deal with this on a regular basis. I feel too deeply for other people to watch students go through these types of things all the time and be able to only do so much just wouldn't work for me.

No comments: