Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Maybe that's it, maybe I'm free.

"And there it was. I had it all-- all the truth and detail that I'd needed to know since that day on the mountain, in the withering snow, when Khader had told me about her. I think I'd expected to feel... nourished, perhaps and vindicated, by forcing her to tell me what she'd done and why she'd done it. I think I'd hope to be released by it, and solaced, just by hearing her tell me. But it wasn't like that. I felt empty: the kind of emptiness that's sad but not distressed, pitying but not broken-hearted, and damaged, somehow, but clearer and cleaner for it. And then I knew what it was, that emptiness: there's a name for it, a word we use often, without realizing the universe of peace that's enfolded in it. The word is free."

No comments: