Thursday, January 31, 2013

I'm a heartless bitch.

It's true that most of the time I am a heartless bitch. It's partly a defence mechanism and partly just who I am. I am not sympathetic to bullshit causes. I don't cry because I had a bad day or a boy doesn't like me.
I am watching Grey's Anatomy and this show actually reaches right down into my soul. I rarely get emotional in movies or tv shows but Grey's gets me every time. I just watched an episode during which a white supremacist who has a swastika tattooed on his stomach wanted a different doctor than a black doctor. So they send him an asian Jew. I cannot imagine being professional dealing with someone like that. So close-minded. Absolutely atrocious that there are still people in this world that think that way.
What I like about this show is that it's realistic. It's not all happy endings. They show real-life issues.
That's been a big issue for me lately. Especially while I am in Education. I am frustrated at society's ability to brush past issues, to ignore them and pretend they do not exist. It is important to me because ignoring these issues only perpetuates these cycles. We need to address these issues if we are ever going to make any sort of progress. Addressing these issues is the only way to advance.
I think when shows go the real places, the real issues and addresses them properly, that's emotional to me. One Tree Hill did a shooting episode once. And that was an emotional roller coaster. Grey's Anatomy does that all the time. The most unbelievable episodes of television. But for 42 minutes, I allow myself to become emotional. I allow myself to step outside of the heartless bitch and become vulnerable. Only because nobody else knows, because nobody else can see it. I'm still the strong girl, the heartless bitch to everyone else.

No comments: