Monday, February 17, 2014

Somber at best.

While I'm not a judge for ice dancing in the Olympics, I find it difficult to comprehend how the Americans beat the Canadians tonight. The combination of two world records in two days after skating the program all year seem pretty interesting. I don't know. I'm probably biased because I really enjoy Tessa and Scott. I think it's interesting considering much of the discussion of both programs short and free dance and the comparison between Americans and Canadians from commentators, etc. I don't want to discount the performance of the Americans, it was a job well done too but I didn't find it captivating. I couldn't take my eyes off of Tessa and Scott. In fact, I even think the Russians might have skated better than the Canadians AND the Americans in terms of difficulty. At the end of the day, I'm proud of Tessa and Scott and I think that any Canadian should be. Heartbreaking loss though. You could see it in Tessa and Scott's eyes, especially Scott's. Both yesterday and today after they skated, there was a sparkle in their eyes and when the Americans scored significantly higher (I'm not entirely sure what for, I might find it more believable if it were closer) Scott struggled with the result. He's more vocal than Tessa. While both maintained the utmost class and professionalism in their interviews, it's easy to see their hearts are broken. Hopefully this means they'll give 2018 another shot.

No comments: