Monday, March 11, 2013

We love you kid.

I am kind of frustrated. I honestly think it's incredible how much RD has come together in support of suicide awareness and to support KW. It is honestly heartbreaking that it had to come to this. At the same time, I think this is dangerous. I think that the amount of publicity this is getting could make other kids think this is a good idea. I don't mean the kids who are seriously depressed, I mean the kids who are attention starved.
I am so proud of those kids but I fear that their graduation year is going to be ruined by suicide awareness. While I think it's incredibly important to promote suicide and I think awareness is important, I also think prevention, coping strategies and the stages of grief are important. I find it difficult to believe that KW's family and friends have completed the stages of grief because they haven't had the time to feel. They haven't had the time to be angry and depressed and guilty.
I fear those kids graduation day when it is going to be spent discussing their grad service project on suicide awareness and dedicated to the loving memory of their best friend who isn't there.
I just think we need to take KW's life, along with the other lives lost in the community this year and love them. Love them, honour their memory, and prevent this from happening to other students, other families, other friends, other communities. We have to love them. We have to love.

No comments: